OK… yes… I know this is “Adventures in Brown Lining” but when my warm water fav’s go away what’s an addicted fly fisherman to do? Yes, despite all of my bitching and griping I finally bit the bullet and made a trip up to Erie to give Steelheading a shot. And yes…. I admit it! IT WAS FUN! I was lucky enough to get some great info from a friend and avoided the majority of the crowds and for most of the day, had the river pretty much to myself! (YES… hard to believe, I know!)
So what lessons did a steelhead rookie learn today? Hmmm… let me see…
- Fishing in 35 degree weather is pretty darn cold no matter how many layers one wears
- Most people who fish for steelhead are pretty lazy and don’t walk more than 50 yards from the bridge they parked their car under
- Big trout have sharp teeth
- Putting one’s finger in big trout’s mouth not the brightest idea
- Blood does not clot well when you are freezing your ass off (see lesson number 3)
- Wading in unfamiliar murky water when you can’t feel your feet requires a bit of caution
- Buyer be ware…. this is highly addictive!
At the end of the day…. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Would I stand in a pool with 10 other guys fighting for drifts??? Negative. But a day like today? Any time!